If I get paid mileage can I still claim mileage on my taxes?

My employer pays me mileage @ $.50 a mile. But I feel thats not enough. Can I still claim mileage on my taxes?


If the mileage payment you receive is not included in your wages, you cannot deduct more than you are paid, as the rate for 2010 is 50 cents per mile. You will have no mileage deduction in this case.

If the mileage payment you receive is included in your wages, you can deduct 50 cents per mile on your Schedule A as Unreimbursed Employee Expenses (use Form 2106).

If you have deducted mileage from the first year you put your vehicle in service, you may choose to deduct actual business vehicle expenses instead. If you have received tax-free mileage reimbursement, subtract that from your actual business vehicle expenses and deduct the difference. If you have received after-tax mileage reimbursement, you can deduct all of your actual business vehicle expenses.

In most cases, taking actual vehicle expenses is not to your advantage.


No. However, you can claim actual expenses (gas, oil, tolls, parking, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc.) minus the amount that the employer paid you.




YOU might not feel that's enough, but the IRS does - that's their rate for this year. You can't deduct additional for mileage.


The IRS mileage rate for 2010 is $.50 per mile -- exactly what your employer is paying you. Although you are normally allowed to claim the difference between the IRS allowance and what the employer is actually paying, in this case there is no difference and nothing for your to claim.