Question

My dog ate a vitamin D pill--will it effect him?

My poodle weighs 16# and the V-D was 1,000 IUs.

Answer

While vitamin D can be toxic your dog is not in any danger from swallowing 1,000iu, I say this because the maximum safe level of vitamin D is 10000 IU/kg which means that your dog is not in any danger. Problems only occur with this vitamin if it is given repeatedly not as a one of dose.

So in your case you need do nothing

May 29 at 10:53

Call the veterinarian - ask them.

No vets on here [ yet, anyway ]

May 29 at 14:39

It won't kill him if that is what you are worried about. If anything, it will do him good. That is not to say give them to him all the time-they get all their needs in dog food. Don't worry. Just don't do it again.

May 29 at 18:48