Question

My dog got into some chocolate, what do I do? Please Help!?

Well, I was cleaning the Pantry and on the top shelf there were some Hershey Milk Chocolate Almond Kisses. Well Becuase they were old I was going to throw them out. I heard one dropped(at least I thought it was only 1 that dropped) and I bent down and grabbed the chocolate kiss that was on the floor. Apparently two dropped and the 1 kiss was still on the floor that I didnt know about. 15-20 min. later while I was making food for me and my mom. My mom walked out of her room and saw that our dog [Mya] was chewing on something she took it out of her mouth and found out it was a Hershey Milk Chocolate Almond Kiss. She didn't eat all of it [ about half ] but will this do anything to her? will she be ok?

Sorry about any misspelled words. I'm freaking out and want answers fast, Thanks.

Answers

_ Page 1

don't freak out ... it is really only dark chocolate that it toxic to dogs and one hershey kiss will do nothing ... i say that because last week i went out and left an entire bag of chocolate easter eggs wrapped in foil on the coffee table ... when i got home my dog had eaten every last one of those eggs including the tin foil and she is only 14 pounds ... she has had no ill effect from consuming these eggs (okay sparkly poop with the tin foil passing :O) ... i had another dog when i was in university who ate an entire chocolate cheesecake, again with no ill effect ... your pooch will be fine :O)

#1

Chocolate

Theobromine is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs. Concentration of theobromine varies with the formulation of the chocolate.

Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm)

Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm)

Baking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm)

Cookies, candies with chocolate coating and ice cream contain small amounts of chocolate and usually isn't harmful to dogs. Solid milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate bars can be toxic, especially to smaller dogs. It is important for children to know that they should not share their chocolate candy with their dog.

Lethal Dose of Chocolate by Dog's Weight

Dog's Weight /Lethal Dose of Theobromide/Milk Chocolate/ Unsweetened Chocolate

5 lbs /200 mg /4 oz /0.5 oz

10 lbs/ 400 mg /8 oz /1 oz

20 lbs /900 mg /1 lb /2.5 oz

30 lbs /1300 mg/ 2 lbs/ 3.25 oz

40 lbs /1800 mg /2.5 lbs/ 4.5 oz

50 lbs/ 2250 mg/ 3 lbs /5.5 oz

60 lbs/ 2700 mg /4 lbs/ 7 oz

70 lbs /3400 mg /5 lbs /8.5 oz

Source: Sandridgepaps.com

#2

Your dog should be fine. If she ingested a toxic level you will know within a few hours and you should bring her to the vet. Evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity.

Baking cocoa is more toxic as it has higher levels of theobromine. For Milk Chocolate to be toxic large quantities would need to be ingested.

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

In comparison: Toxic level of White Chocolate for a 10lb dog is 125lbs

Toxic level of Baking Chocolate for same dog is only 1 ounce

So, do be careful if you're baking!

#3

mya should be fine

#4

yeh i think so. My dog ate a big chocolate bar and its still fine.(the chocolate was BIG) Don't worry!

#5

She should be fine. :)

#6

It's okay. Just make sure that she doesn't get to chocolate again. my dog has eaten chocolate before on accident. SHe'll be fine. :]

#7

if she ate 1 hershey kiss she would be fine a whole bag maybe not, but 1 she will be fine

#8