Mild Caliectasis of the Kidney?

In a CT scan checking for kidney stones they found Cysts on my liver, and stated I have Calietasis of the right kidney. I am concerned this is an early warning signal of cancer. My mom died at age 51 with stomach and liver cancer and now I have a brother (age 56) with a large rare carcinoma tumor that is in 90% of his liver, right kidney and lung. What can I do to be sure this isn't happening to me?



Caliectasis is a kidney condition characterized by dilation of the calices - structures situated inside the kidney pelvis which divide into two wide, cup-shaped major renal calices, with each major calix subdivided into 7 to 14 minor calices. Urine empties into a minor calix from collecting tubules, then passes through the major calix, renal pelvis, and ureter to enter the urinary bladder. Once in the ureter, fluid can be moved into the bladder and periodically eliminated through the urethra once enough fluid builds up. In individuals with caliectasis, fluid backs up in the kidneys and the calices become distended. Patients diagnosed with this condition are usually treated by a nephrologist/urologist, a doctor who specializes in the care of the kidneys/urinary tract. One reason for caliectasis to develop is a urinary tract obstruction. Stones, growths, and other obstructions can make it difficult for fluid to drain from the renal pelvis. As it builds up, it puts pressure on the calices and they start to expand. This causes caliectasis. Likewise, infections in the urinary tract can cause similar problems. Caliectasis (and pelviectasis) means dilatation of calyx (and pelvis) of the kidney and is usually due to obstruction of urine flow. The dilatation of urinary space of the kidney could be in one – as in your case - or both kidneys depending on the cause of obstruction. The obstruction can be due to kidney stones, blood clot, [prostate enlargement in men], or cancer either within the bladder or cancer compressing from outside compressing on the ureter/bladder/urethra. Obstruction to urine flow at times can lead to irreversible kidney failure if the obstruction is for a long period of time – a few weeks. In the wording of your question you explain that this has been discovered on a CT scan. You make no mention of any further examinations, tests or treatment. It is not usual for there to be no follow-up after this type of discovery. If you have had no future appointments for any of these, you would be advised to ask your doctor/urologist/nephrologist about your future case management. It is very important that you be evaluated immediately by your doctor/urologist/nephrologist to know the reason for the obstruction and the treatment for it. If this is not possible, for any reason, you should report to your nearest emergency room with any reports or paper-work that you may have regarding this matter, plus details of your family history of cancer, which I hope, your doctors/specialists are aware of.


It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Hope this helps

matador 89